Monday, September 7, 2009

La Playa, actividades, y cosas asi

Buenos dias! These past couple of days have been incredible. We didn't have anything formal planned for this weekend, and thank goodness because I slept superbly late on Saturday. However, my timing was perfect because I woke up just in time for lunch - 2:30 on the dot! We eat dinner at 10 pm or so, and the kids go to bed at 11. Crazy. So we didn't do much on Saturday, just recovered a little bit and went for a walk around the neighborhood. We live in Los Remedios, a neighborhood right across the river from the university, so we only have a 20-25 minute walk or so. Also, it gets faster as we get better at finding our way. :0)

Sunday was amazing. A couple of guys from our group organized a trip to the beach, one about an hour away called Matalascanas. We woke up at 8:30 (much earlier!) and had breakfast of very strong, citrusy Spanish coffee and delicious fruit and yogurt. Oh, tangent - food here is so good!!! We got lucky that Rocio is such a good cook, and the family eats pretty healthy with lots of vegetables and fish, and fruit or yogurt for dessert and breakfast. And, the other day for lunch we had swordfish! Que exotico. Blueberries are arandonos. We haven't had any yet but I learned how to say it. And apparently limes are not that common in Spain, just lemons. Interesante.

Anyways, the beach. So after walking to the bus stop, we got our tickets and took the bus to Matalascanas. It's kind of a super-touristy beach, but still very fun nonetheless, with a little shopping avenue outside and refreshment stands everywhere. Rocio packed us a simple lunch of ham and cheese on baguettes with juice boxes and fruit - super cute. We just tanned for a while, but then we swam out pretty far in the ocean (which was lovely, about the temperature of a cold pool but exceptionally salty) to this huuuuuge rock thing, which we climbed (with some difficulty and a few battle wounds). But then we got to jump from the top, which was about thirty feet high! Sick. While telling my family about my adventures at dinner, I had to pause for some time and try and frame that in meters. Difficult. Also, temperatures are in celsius - it was a shocking 43 degrees yesterday (which is well over 100).

So walking back from the beach, we had a small Spanish accident - I got some glass stuck in my foot, on which I had to perform minor emergency surgery with purell, tweezers and a swiss army knife. Exito! (aka success, that's one of my roommate and I's favorite words)

Today we have orientation from 5-8 pm, so I am up pretty early given the circumstances. I'm not sure what the average hora de despertarse is, but Alfonso hasn't gone to work yet and it's 9:30. Anyways, Melanie and I are taking the early afternoon to investigate one of the surrounding neighborhoods called Triana. I keep thinking of random things that I wish I brought, but I think we're going to arrange a care package soon! After skyping with my family last night, the son Alfonsito asked me what we were talking about, and I said that we were planning on arranging a care package from the states with presents. Que intriga!!!! he said. :0) (what intrigue!) hahahahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment